Thursday, September 3, 2009

Speechless

Never in my mind did I think I would be questioning the bible. I mean this is the book that I by, and I try to abide by it. but never did I think I would be asking myself questions about it. Like how in the book of Genesis that is assumed to be this great creation chapter that there would be death, betrayal, and adultery. But I guess it had to start somewhere right? That is why I think all this stuff is in the bible, the book that most Americans live by.

The one story that I am having a hard time dealing with, and coming to terms with is the story about Jacob. How he marries Laban’s daughters. Both daughters at that! Not just one but both of them! He first marries Leah. Leah as he thinks, eyes were lovely. But Rachel on the other hand was graceful and beautiful. I know that those are two characteristics that I look for in a man is grace and beauty. Yeah right. So after dealing with who he should be with he decides that he wants to be with Rachel. So he told Laban that he will work for him for seven years so that Rachel can then marry him. seven years is an awful long time to commit to someone to work for them. And this was back in the day. So I can only imagine that this work was hard labor. But that’s not the best part. The best part of the story is when Jacob is in his room waiting for his new wife to have their “wedding night” Laban gives him Leah instead of Rachel. Well Jacob being a guy didn’t think at the moment who it was he just took it with a grain of salt. And he had the night with Leah. When the morning comes he sees that it was Leah instead of his beloved Rachel. But basically this story is about back stabbing I think. The father isn’t honest with Jacob. And Jacob doesn’t ask questions. So Jacob goes around and around with Leah and Rachel. But in the end he ends up with Rachel.

But then the Lord sees that Leah is “unloved”. Here we see another story of a virgin conceiving a child without a man. So the Lord impregnates Leah I guess one could say. Here is another miracle of God. Which is odd to me. The only person that people know about who got pregnant without a man is Mary. But no, Lead did as well. And she had three kids. Not just one. Three. God does this three times. Don’t you think that is a little extensive on trying to make a woman bare children. The reason why it kind of gets me, is because in this world today. Not a lot of people think it’s right to have children if the child has no father. But look here it is shown in the Bible. Then the story truns, when Rachel sees that Leah has children. And Rachel wants kids as well. she asks Jacob to have kids with her. He says no. she what does she do? She pawns her maid on Jacob and says “fine. Have kids with her. Not me.” Shows what kind of a person Rachel is.
I’ve tried to read and re-read this story over and over. And I just can’t wrap my mind around it. there is a lot of two timing. And not being true to ones self, jealously and hatred is very present in this story. I am going to try to read more in depth this story and write more about it. and hopefully it will make more sense to me then it does now. I just don’t get it. and this blog probably makes no sense but I will try my best next time to make it sound like I know a little bit what I’m talking about. Haha. Ok more next time… I have some thinking to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment