Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The first part...

So as the thought back in my head keeps reminding me that I need to blog about these readings for this semester. I'm thinking to my self, self there is no way that you can do all this. You already have a full load of classes and now you have to blog about this class. So as i sat down with The Good Book and started reading it, it somehow was quite easy to read. I found myself really thinking about what David Plotz really has to say.
In my mind the book of Gensis is so overly tought in church. All the little kids know that in the begining God created the heavens and the earth... blah blah blah. Thats when I get bored with the whole story. But reading what Plotz has to say about Genesis is very ture. Not a whole lot of good things happen in Genesis. Well creating but that is about it. Then God punishes Adam and Eve for eating the fruit. But really what was it that was eaten? A fruit or something else? Genesis never says what was eaten. What if it was a veggie? Then what would of happened?
Then God decides that he wants to flood the earth as a lesson. Picks Noah out of all people, who in fact is a drunk. His sons find him drunk passed out on the floor. And they just look at him. But someone who is a drunk can build an ark that doesn't even see a hint of damage the 40 days it was in the water. And then you look at the Titanic a boat that was built by professionals, and look at it, its at the bottem of the ocean.
The only problem so far I am having with this book and the writer, to me he seems kind of like a hipocryt. He rags on Jacob about being bad, and mystrious and all the characteristics that he named off. But then he goes and names his son after Jacob. One because he liked the name, and two because he liked the way the character of Jacob is. He controdicts himself alot in this chapter that he talks about Jacob. And he doen't know how he will explain to his son, his name sake. Which to me is very important to a child, to know where their name came from. How will his son take it, that his name came from the bible. A book which his dad is not fond of, and wrote a book about it? I don't know, to me this was my hardest part so far to understand.
That is where I stopped. Becasue i was frustrated with the way things were written, and how they were written. So far it is a good book. And I'm really enjoying it, but there has to be a stopping point in it, at the end of the night. So tonight I will continue my quest with comparing the Bible to The Good Book. And I will let you now how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment