Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pharaoh Pharaoh OOOO Baby Let My People Go

Being a bible thumper I knew all the Ten Commandments. Its just something I guess that is in the “rule book” of bible thumping. And they must be pretty important right? I mean if there is this big argument about the Ten Commandments being in front of the court house, and when I just typed them into my word processor and I didn’t capitalize them, it did it for me. Hmmm but that’s not the issue here.

Moses. Every bible thumper knows the story of Moses. Well we all hope so at least. I had been a camper at the bible camp that I worked at this summer, and so I know all the songs by heart. And I love to sing them when I’m there and all that good stuff. But this summer something new was there. We couldn’t sing the bible thumper song Pharaoh Pharoah. It’s a really great song. And I love it, and so do all of the kids. But my boss thought that it wasn’t age appropriate. So she decided to “ban” the song from the camp. And we couldn’t really talk about it, and we certainly couldn’t sing it. and now that Moses has been the talk of the town in bible as lit class, it makes me wonder why she really “banned” it. part of me says she did it because she didn’t know the whole story. And then the other part says she did “ban” it because of the whole story, and she knew the whole gruesome, detailed story. And being so she didn’t like the story she didn’t want to hear the song. But the song says nothing about Moses. But pretty much about Pharaoh being really mean, and God used his “Godliness” to free Moses’ people. Here is the song;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRVpARDceKs&feature=related

Pharaoh Pharaoh Let my people Go

Well a burning bush told me just the other day
That I should go to Egypt and say
Its time to let my people be free
Listen to God if you won’t listen to me

Pharaoh Pharaoh ooooo baby let my people go

Well me and my people are going to the Red Sea
And Pharaoh and his army coming after me
I took my rod stuck it in the sand,
And all of Gods people walked upon dry land.

Pharaoh Pharaoh oooo baby let my people go

Well Pharaohs army was a coming to
So what did you think that I did do
I raised my staff and cleared my throat
And all of Pharaohs army did the dead man’s float

So how about that. There is the song that all of us bible thumpers know and love, but we can’t sing it at camp. Sad day. But I looked at it just a little bit more and I thought about it a little more, and littler kids really can’t understand Moses. I mean come on, I’m 19 and I can’t understand it very well yet. And it does have kind of choice words that might freak out little kids. But I remember when they would sing it they would love it. and I’ve posted a link from of course You Tube where some other bible thumper is singing the song. And yes the kids love it. I think that is saying something.

1 comment: