Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Slave--Day by Day


Upon finishing The Slave, it really gave me something to think about. Through out the book I would take a little sticky note and write the page number and the topic I wanted to blog about. When I got done with the book I found that I had about 20 little sticky notes all over my book. I guess that was a good sign meaning I read the book, and enjoyed it but then it came to the decision on what topic I wanted to blog about. Then the perfect topic hit me. And I’m going to share this with the class because I feel that it went along with the book, and what we have been talking about in class.

Recently my boyfriend of three years died in a car wreck. He passed away on Tuesday November 10th 2009 at 11:53 in the night. He decided that he wanted to play a “fun” game and race his friend late at night on the streets, to prove that his car was better and faster, even though he knew it was. He does this all the time so he felt that there was no way that he could get hurt. I had talk to him like ten minutes before he raced. I told him not to do it, because I didn’t like him doing it. but he assured me that he does this all the time and he will be safe and for me not worry. But being the girlfriend it is my duty to worry about him. when I didn’t hear from him and I didn’t hear from and I didn’t hear from I really started to get worried.
I went to bed thinking nothing of the topic that I would see him in the morning and things will be just fine. I am woken up in the middle of the night by a phone call from his friend. He had told me that Johnny was racing and something had gone wrong and he had flipped and rolled his car numerous of times. And that he didn’t make it through the wreck. In those two moments of his friend telling me that he didn’t make it and me realizing that he was really gone my heart dropped so hard in my chest. I couldn’t believe that Johnny, my boyfriend whom I shared so much with was really gone. There are still times where I will go to text him, and then remember that he isn’t here anymore.

I guess I felt kind of like how Jacob felt when his wife Sarah had died. Jacob prayed and prayed, as did I. but then Jacob did something that I really admired. He got up, and did what he had to do to keep him and his baby safe. Yes I mean Sarah is gone now, but that doesn’t mean that he could just instantly stop his life for it. He had to keep moving in order to keep him and his son safe. I can relate to Jacob with the death of a signifant other. Even though Johnny and I were still in college I knew that I was going to marry this man.

But I can’t just quit my life because he is gone now. I know that I’m not in a life dangering situation. But I have school that I have to focus on; I have my family that cares about me. I can’t let go of my dream because my boyfriend is no longer here. Jacob showed that he was really strong in losing Sarah. I need to be strong also. Jacob didn’t quit. And neither should I.

I know that my boyfriend is up in Heaven with God and that he is looking down on me. Even though he isn’t physically with me, he is spiritually. Just like Sarah was with Jacob. Johnny will always be with me. I can’t do anything to bring him back. I can say what if, what if, what if, but what will that do me? There is nothing that I can do to bring him back, so I just have to take this day by day. Just like Jacob did. Day by day.

2 comments:

  1. Lisette I had no idea that this awful tragedy happened to you. I admire your strength and spirit for going on with your day to day life in a time when it would have been easier to fall. I'm so sorry.

    On a lighter note, I am looking forward to our movie, and my personal favorite scene: teepee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    Like Erin, I had no idea this happened to you. I'm kind of shocked because you seemed fine when I saw you after; you must be a very strong person. I know that anything I say in this situation is ultimately of no help to you, so I'm only going to say, "everything happens for a reason they say, but I say there's a reason things happen."

    Everything takes time.

    ReplyDelete