Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Baptism=This Summa



The subject of baptizing came up in class. And now I know I was baptized. But I don’t remember it because it was a really long time ago. 20 years to be exact, I do have pictures and what my parents have told me. And I have this little shell thing with drops of water on it, and a candle to signify my baptism. But to me it’s not just the tangible things that remind me of my baptism. There is always that consistent reminder that I was baptized therefore my sins are forgiven. And that God loves me no matter what and I am a child of his.

Whenever I’m reminded of a baptism I always have to close my eyes and think back to this summer. As I do that a smile comes across my face. And I am instantly back at Flathead Lutheran Bible Camp. Every night we would have worship. You know praising Jesus for a wonderful day. And a closing of that day. Well at least once a week the people who were leading the worship they would have us a confess our sins of the day, then we would get up from our seats walk down to the shore line. The people who were leading that days worship would stand in the water. (only to about their ankles, we didn’t do the whole “dunk tank” thing.) and one by one we would go up to a person who was standing in the water. And we would get the sign of the cross on our forehead with the water. And as we do this we sing the song “As I went down to the river to Pray.”

A fellow counselor who was there with me, we became really great friends. She is such an inspirational person to me. Her name is Annika. She is the best singer I have ever head in my life. And I’m not just saying that. But as we would sing this song, I wouldn’t sing at all. I would just listen to her sing this song, belting it out. I would close my eyes and let the silent tears run down my face, because all I can hear is this powerful beautiful voice. (they were good tears by the way) Along with this voice I hear the children singing. And they are the core of my existence that is why I want to become a teacher. But anyway. I hear Annika, the children, and the water splashing up on the rocks.

Then I would be my time to get up with my campers and holding their hands we would walk down to the water. And I would wait for my turn to hear the reminder that I am a child of God, and therefore my sins have been forgiven. It was a great bond that I would share with my campers. They got to see what really hit my heart hard, and I got to tell them why I felt this way.

Each week when this would happen with our new set of campers the feeling that came over me never got old. I always cried and felt the same way. because to me this is something so powerful that I have of God. And its almost a tangible reminder that God loves me. The water. I can feel it warm, on my forehead and my fellow counselor telling me that God loves me and so my sins forgiven.

I will always know that I was baptized in front of my family when I was little. But when I was little I didn’t understand the meaning of baptism. Now I do. This summer when I was at camp I feel was a whole new baptism for me. Yes I was in front of my “camp family” but I got to do something that I didn’t when I was younger. I got to declare my love for God. To this day I have no problem closing my eyes and my memory will take me back to camp. Where I can hear Annika singing, the kids singing, the water on the rocks, a sun set to die for, and that reminder that I, Lisette am a child of God. That is what my baptism consisted of.

No comments:

Post a Comment