Thursday, November 5, 2009

Prince of Peace, John 20





Lately I have been really excited to blog. I guess something about the class has got me really excited to share my stories with everybody. And today when we read in John chapter 20 I’m like to myself wow this story is really familiar to me. And yes you guessed it. Camp. That is why it seems familiar to me.

Every week at camp on Thursday night the counselors would re enact the death of Jesus, where we get to see the last supper, Judas deny Jesus, him being beaten up, and then finally the crucification. It gives the campers a real life narration of why we believe what we believe. And it shows them what really went on. We have a script that we memorize our lines from. There is also a narrator who reads and summarizes some things. And then we act this reenactment out in front of the campers. I remember when I first saw this I cried like a baby. It is just so powerful to be able to see this in person and around us. we have someone play Jesus, and the disciples and everyone who took part in this part of his life. We even have read torches that we use. So its kind of cool. and we even dress the part. With our “Jesus sandals.” Which are Chacos. But anyway so Thursday night is the night where we see him die. And everyone knows that he rises, but we save that part to Friday morning. And then after we see the play we take our campers and go back to our cabins and talk about what they thought about that. And there were only two times that I wasn’t in the play. And I can tell you it’s a whole new perspective when I’m watching it, and when I’m in it. even though I didn’t play all the parts I know the whole script by heart. and so after we get done discussing with our campers what happened, we go to bed, and then we get up Friday morning for the other part of the story.

Friday morning is all John 20. This is how Friday morning went.
The foot race to the tomb, and then the look in the tomb. Only to see that it is empty.
Mary Magdalene and the disciples run away afraid.
Then Mary the mother of Jesus walk to the tomb, cries infront of it for a little while.
Then she enters to see that Jesus isn’t there. Then two angels come out from behind a rock.
And they have to decide what they are going to say. Because if one of them says crying and the other says weeping.. it sounds like “woman why are you creeping?” crying and weeping in one.
“they have taken my Lord and I do not know where they have placed him.”
Then Jesus appears and says “woman why are you crying?”
She doesn’t know its Jesus and says “because they have taken my Lord and I don’t know where they have placed him. Please if you know where he is, tell me and I will go remove his body.”
Then Jesus says “Mary.” She gets all excited and cries “Teacher!”
They hug for a minute. Then Jesus pushes her away and says “do not hold on to me, because I have not yet returned to my kingdom… and then he goes on a little bit more…. Go tell everyone that I have and will return.” Mary runs up to the crowd and yells “I HAVE SEEN THE LORD.”
Then we get to sing this really great song called Prince of Peace. And all the campers love it. And it is a sad day cause it’s the day that the campers leave, but its also a good day. Because they get to see that Jesus is risen.

So when Dr. Sexson was reading this passage Fridays reenactment was playing in my head. And I was Mary one week and I remember crying teacher and then saying that I have seen the Lord. It was kind of cool reading this is class and knowing that I had reenacted it this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment